But... I've been spending a lot of time looking at those budget numbers. Dad has been very generous by offering us the wedding gift of a check and his encouragement to plan WHAT I WANT. Tough decision. I've been thinking about it a lot. Weddings are good family fun, a chance to show off my great taste and party with the people who grew me up and support us. I love my family, and I want them to celebrate this rite of passage with me. But it's asking a lot for them to visit Oregon, and most won't make it. Not to mention my feminist, environmentalist, anti-consumerist objections. I think most of you know and love me enough to understand what I mean when I say that I've got that Steve Miller song running through my head, "Go on, take the money and run...."
Not to turn this into a political statement, but below are some articles about conscious brides and the wedding-industrial complex. (Check out the romantic South Carolina wedding in the photo - recognize that gorgeous blonde?)BY CAITLIN FLANAGAN
The Wedding Merchants
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200102/flanagan
by Elise Mac Adam
Why even the most savvy brides strive for that "One Perfect Day"
http://indiebride.com/interviews/mead/index.html
By Hannah Wallace
The marriage industrial complex
http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2007/05/21/mead_weddings/
By Meghan O'Rourk
I Love You, Let's Have a Blowout: DOING TIME IN THE WEDDING-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX.
http://www.slate.com/id/2165581/
The Wedding Merchants
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200102/flanagan
by Elise Mac Adam
Why even the most savvy brides strive for that "One Perfect Day"
http://indiebride.com/interviews/mead/index.html
By Hannah Wallace
The marriage industrial complex
http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2007/05/21/mead_weddings/
By Meghan O'Rourk
I Love You, Let's Have a Blowout: DOING TIME IN THE WEDDING-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX.
http://www.slate.com/id/2165581/
3 comments:
heya, I found your blog searching for anru cobsunerism... i love your ideas and I hope you have a great day.
Guy
www.sleepywhisper.com
KC & N8-
So, I am not so good at staying current here... have the plans changed?
6.5 months and counting down...
Yes, plans are changing. We're reducing the guest list to immediate family and close friends and we're eliminating the caterer. We'll meet up with the rest of our families back on home turf and we'll party with the rest of our friends in usual lowbrow fashion.
Post a Comment